Marion Miller: The Founding Story
I'm Marion, I have over 15 years experience empowering people on the self-discovery pathway across multiple platforms. Marion Miller Coach is my YouTube channel sharing mindfulness-based coaching tools for authentic leadership and life.
I'm the spirited daughter of German immigrant from Hamburg and a farmer from King Island. My life begun on a farm in country Tasmania before moving to Melbourne during my childhood. Like everyone, life has thrown me some curveballs, like losing my mum to suicide in 1999 and leaving my marriage years later.
I’ve undergone some major life changes; does anyone live to 40 years old without heartbreak? With some incredible people to guide me and the blessings of a large, loving family I have continued to rise up stronger, kinder and wiser. Making meaning from the setbacks and sharing with others the skilful pathway of self-discovery, sustainable living and the inner work of being authentic.
Before founding Melbourne Coach I worked in beauty, fashion and content/digital marketing, I've developed business start ups, and creative projects in both Melbourne and NYC. Changing careers and pursuing my dream was a challenge but step by step it has transformed my life and given me a sense of purpose and joy to do what I love. I'm a mum of four daughters, an artist, published author, environmental activist and feminist.
The mindfulness journey began in 1996 when I was just 20 years old my mother introduced me to a visiting meditation teacher and soon after I had a mind expanding experience that inspired me to turn to meditation practice. In 1999 I travelled the coastline of Australia for 9 months and spent time with indigenous communities in northern WA learning about my connection to the land.
In 2001 I spent a year teaching ESL in Japan, including classes at a Kinder within a Buddhist temple in Ogaki and participating in seasonal festivals. Having been profoundly moved by eastern and indigenous culture; these early experiences were the seeds that inspired me to dig deeper into life and give back by becoming a mindfulness teacher and coach in 2009.
My professional education and mindfulness training includes:
• Diploma in Coaching with a speciality in Career, Business and Life Coaching from The Coaching Institute of Australia, 2015.
• Registered level 2, MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction) and MBCT (Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy) teacher, 2015-on-going.
• Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness online: Theory and skills to make meditation safe and effective for trauma survivors with David Trevelen PhD, 2019.
• 2rd, almost 3rd year student of Bachelor of Counselling (Coaching), Australian Colleague of Applied Psychology, 2016- on-going.
• Mindful Self-Compassion Core Skills with Christopher Germer, PhD. & Kathleen Cator, 2017.
• Mindful Leadership Compassion Masterclass with Emiliana Simon Thomas PhD, 2016.
• Meditation Teacher Training, Melbourne Meditation Centre with Matt Young, 2009.
• Introduction to Psychology A and B, Deakin University, 2009.
• Insight Meditation Retreat, How the Dharma Informs Mindfulness-Based Approaches, NSW, 2016.
• Insight Meditation Retreat, Open Heart, Open Mind 7 day silent retreat, Victoria, 2017.
• Insight Meditation day retreat, Equanimity: Finding Balance in our practice, James and Jane Baraz, 2018.
• Insight Meditation 3 day Silent Retreat, Opening Heart, Anton Eastick, 2018.
• Insight & Eco-Dharma retreat: Earth in Mind, Robyn Gibson and Rupert Marques 2019.
The modalities and techniques our programs draw from include: Solution Focussed Approach, Narrative Coaching, Cognitive Behavioural Coaching, Positive Psychology, Person-Centred Coaching, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC), Insight Buddhism, NLP, Organisational Behaviour and Psychodynamic Coaching.
When I'm not working I'm spending time with my four daughters and beloved partner and enjoy travelling the world, the beach and sailing, gardening, painting, yoga, writing and doing environmental projects in my community.